Sunday, January 25, 2009 at 1:01 PM |  
After several hiccups with my VMWare setup, I was finally able to get up and running. Ideally I'd be working on an actual Mac but for now this will have to do.

The first thing I did was head over to the IPhone Development Center and watch some of the Getting Started videos. These first several videos that I watched give a basic overview of all of the features contained in the IPhone SDK as well as the IPhone. The IPhone SDK contains a number of useful tools like XCode, Dashcode, and Instruments. These tools are what you will be using when developing your own applications. The IPhone itself is comprised of four parts divided into layers. There's the Core OS which handles all of the chores an operating system would be expected to do. On top of that, is the Core Services layer which comprises all of the services that all applications must interact with. On top of that is the Media layer which is where your application can interfacec with the audio and graphical capabilities of the IPhone. Finally on top of that is the Cocoa Touch framework where all our development gets done. The Cocoa Touch framework has a ton of function available for us to use.

The API is written in Objective-C which is a superset of ANSI C with some additional syntax to make it object oriented. Another cool thing that I discovered was that you could mix C++ code with your Objective-C. When developing applications it seems very important to be consistent and stick to appropriate conventions. The Model View Controller model is an essential part of the development.

This was meant to be a brief overview of some of the things I learned today from watching these introduction videos. I recommend watching them yourself as well. Hopefully now I can start making some applications!
Posted by JP

0 comments: